Aurora’s Farmers Market 2013
Aurora's Farmers Market Downtown:
Healthy Growing! Open every Saturday morning, June through October.
Shop Aurora's Farmers Market for seasonal favorites! Join neighbors and come enjoy the familiar flavors and weekly surprises during our 101st Anniversary. We're Illinois' oldest continually-running market, proudly celebrating our history and heritage. Each week with our Healthy Growing Initiative, your shopping experience includes a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables as well as the opportunity to discover unique handcrafts, homemade breads and pastries, specialty meats, artisan cheeses, and beautiful flowers. Pick up your farm fresh produce for the week – and plan to spend some time savoring the sweetness of locally-made baked goods, snacking on fresh popcorn, or tasting delicious hot donuts!
Get to know our farmers, producers, and local artisans; bring your knives for sharpening; and meet friends at Aurora's Farmers Market for food demonstrations and enjoy weekly entertainment
- When: 8:00 a.m. to Noon, Saturdays, June 1 – Oct. 19
- Where:Aurora Transportation Center, 233 N. Broadway Ave. (Rt. 25).
This Week At the Farmers Market:
50+ vendors offering a vast selection of fresh produce, tasty products, artisan crafts and much more makes the market a great place to shop for Father’s Day. Plus:
- The Friends of Phillips Park will be here with a supply of "Sunken Garden" tulip bulbs, their famed Mezzo, and banana trees for a donation to the Friends of Phillips Park.
- Bradley Keven Green Family Band will offer an assortment of Blues favorites, original songs and Aurora favorites.
- FUNdamentals of Fitness for Kids" - Courtesy of Center-Fit-Helping kids explore fitness and have fun while learning proper body-mechanics.
- Chiro One will provide free screenings and information for your optimal health.
- Sculpted Image’s “Sculpt and Move” program creating an opportunity for kids and families to become more physically active in a fun environment.
- The Aurora Public Library Bookmobile will be present with Make & Take activities for the kids from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m.
- Girl Scouts of Northern Illinois will be offering a craft where the girls will make a doll that represents the story of their role model.
To promote access to fresh fruits and vegetables, good nutrition and support healthful habits, eligible Illinois residents may receive up to an additional $10 BONUS per market day for healthy food shopping thanks to the Kane County Fit for Kids Founders Consortium and Link Up Illinois.
Aurora's Farmers Market West
West Plaza Shopping Center
When: 1:00-5:00 p.m., Wednesdays, July 10-Sept. 11
Where: 1901 W. Galena Blvd.
Aurora's Farmers Market East
Our Lady of Mercy Catholic Church
When: 1:00-6:00 p.m., Thursdays, July 11-Aug. 29
Where: 701 S. Eola Rd.
Aurora Public Library Eola Branch Aurora’s Farmers Market East Programs
Afternoon with the Masters: Vegetable Stampers
July 11, 2013 – 2:00pm to 3:30pm
Children ages 6 to 11 will have the opportunity to "play with their food!" Celebrate the first day of Aurora's Farmers Market East and create a "masterpiece" using different fruits and vegetables. The activity will take place in the Children’s Program Room at the Aurora Public Library Eola Road Branch. Pre-registration is required by contacting the Aurora Public Library at 630-254-3400 or www.aurorapubliclibrary.org and click on events. PLUS: The Aurora Public Library Foundation Book Sale will take place with a wide selection of new, used, donated, ex-Library books and some advanced reading copies. ONLY 50 cents to $1 with donations gladly accepted. All proceeds benefit the New Main Aurora Public Library and the branches.
Fruit & Veggie Bowling for the Family
July 25, 2013 - 3:00pm to 4:00pm
The entire family will have the opportunity to use a "cabbage" to knock over fruit and veggie pins for a chance at prizes! The activity will take place in the Large Meeting Room at the Aurora Public Library Eola Road Branch. Pre-registration is required by contacting the Aurora Public Library at 630-254-3400 or www.aurorapubliclibrary.org and click on events. PLUS: The Aurora Public Library Foundation Book Sale will take place with a wide selection of new, used, donated, ex-Library books and some advanced reading copies. ONLY 50 cents to $1 with donations gladly accepted. All proceeds benefit the New Main Aurora Public Library and the branches.
Fresh from the Farmers Market
August 1, 2013 - 1:00pm to 2:00pm
"Fresh from the Farmers Market" will offer you the opportunity to learn the benefits of purchasing locally grown fruits and vegetables. Registered Dietician Elizabeth Danowski will discuss the nutritional and environmental advantages of farmers market produce. The second portion of the program will be held onsite at Aurora's Farmers Market East right next door. Please bring a reusable shopping bag. The activity will take place at the Aurora Public Library Eola Road Branch. Pre-registration is required by contacting the Aurora Public Library at 630-254-3400 or www.aurorapubliclibrary.org and click on events.
Attention Aurora Area Community Groups
The 2013 Aurora’s Farmers Market is a great way to promote your organization, conduct a fundraiser, and get the word out about the exciting projects your group is working on. If your Aurora area non-profit organization is interested in hosting The Community Table at the Market, please send an e-mail to email@example.com for more information. Space is very limited so please apply early.
Aurora’s Farmers Market Young Entrepreneur Program
We’re inviting industrious Aurora area youth groups, clubs, or individuals to become “Young Entrepreneur’s” this summer at any of our three Farmers Markets. Youngsters will have the opportunity to sell handcrafts, homegrown produce and other products that they produce. These “Young Entrepreneur’s” will not only be earning money for their efforts, but learning valuable social and business skills including personal interaction, marketing, merchandising and money management in a safe and positive environment.
To be a “Young Entrepreneur”:
- Participants must be 15 years of age or younger and able to work the booth, count money, etc., and be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- All products offered for sale must be grown or produced by the youth.
- Participants must follow all market rules and any applicable Health Department regulations.
- Participation is limited to up to 4 days per market with a $5 fee per day.
Friends of Aurora’s Farmers Market
Friends of Aurora’s Farmers Markets maintains a Facebook page. Visit it for more information about the Farmers Market.
Buy Illinois Challenge
This challenges every household in Illinois to dedicate $10 of their existing weekly grocery budget to the purchase of Illinois Products
If every Illinois household (4.7 million) takes the challenge to dedicate just $10 weekly -- we can generate $2.4 billion annually!
The Fresh Flyer
Your guide to eating what’s fresh at the market, courtesy of The College of Health and Human Sciences at Northern Illinois University.
Interested in performing at the Farmers Market? Contact Dee Nila Basile at firstname.lastname@example.org; or call (630) 256-3370.
Specialty Vendors & Delicious Extras
- Homemade Tamales and more available from of Senor Taco.
- Fresh Brewed Coffee & Lattes available from Fresh Ground Roasting.
- Fresh Baked breads and sweet treats from Katic Bakery and Sweet Sensations.
- Bring your knives and tools for sharpening at the Finer Edge.
"Eat Healthy, Grow Well and Buy Local". For information call (630) 256-INFO (4636)