Aurora's Green History
How the City is Being Green
The City of Aurora Aurora is a recognized environmental leader in the Fox River Valley area. Honors such as the Clean Air Counts Platinum Award, the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency's Green Fleet designation, and Arbor Day Foundation's Tree City USA designation demonstrate the City's progress and initiative in environmental sustainability. Aurora has demonstrated a desire to develop in a sustainable manner through documented plans such as the:
- Aurora Neighborhood Planning Initiative (ANPI) Neighborhood Plans
- Comprehensive Bicycle and Pedestrian Plan (PDF)
- Countryside Vision Plan (PDF)
- The revised FoxWalk Overlay District (PDF)
- RiverEdge Park Master Plan
- Riverfront Vision Plan (PDF)
- Seize the Future Master Plan (PDF)
Program Endorsements & Memberships
Motivated to lead by example, the City of Aurora also endorses the:
- U.S. Mayor's Climate Protection Agreement
- Memberships with:
- Chicago Area Clean Cities
- The Illinois Recycling Association
- In October 2008, the City took a proactive approach to by establishing a City Green Team in preparation of hosting the 2008 GreenTown: The Future of Community conference, and maintains a growing list of achieved and ongoing green initiatives.
Achieved & Ongoing Green Initiatives
See the City of Aurora's Achieved and Ongoing Green Initiatives (PDF).
A long-range plan for enhancing the quality of life for present and future generations of Aurorans through sustainable practices.
- City of Aurora Bike Map (PDF)
- Route 59 Bike to Metra Station Brochure (PDF)
- Downtown Bike to Metra Station Brochure (PDF)
Energy & Emissions Profile
Aurora's Energy and Emissions Profile (PDF) was received July 13, 2009 from the Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning and the Center for Neighborhood Technology.