- City Services
- Boards & Commissions
- Boards & Commissions
- Mayor's Sustainable Aurora Advisory Board
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
View Most Recent Agendas and Minutes
Meetings can last a little as 30 minutes or as long as 2 hours depending on the number or complexity of agenda items. Three unexcused absences in 1 year are generally grounds for dismissal.
The Mayor’s Sustainable Aurora Advisory Board is governed by Chapter 2, Article VI, Division 9, entitled “Mayor’s Sustainable Aurora Advisory Board” of the Aurora Code of Ordinances.
The Sustainability Advisory Board was established in August 2009 to assist the Mayor and City Council in identifying the highest priorities for city government and citizens to achieve sustainable management of natural resources and make recommendations for programs or actions designed to implement the recommendations contained in the City Sustainability Plan.
The Advisory Board currently consists of four (4) active members appointed by the Mayor, and approved by the City Council, from Aurora residents who have experience, expertise, or interest in the areas of sustainability. The Advisory Board’s initial objective has been the implementation of the 2009 Sustainability Plan by recommending programs or actions that could guide the community’s efforts to reduce its emissions footprint. Since many of the recommendations of the original plan were successfully implemented overtime, the Advisory Board developed a forward-thinking document, the 2019 Sustainability Plan; which sets innovative short-term, long-term goals, metrics, and action plans to help Aurora achieve its sustainable community visions.
The City's 2019 Sustainability Plan was recognized with the Kane County 2020 Plan of the Year Award.
If you are interested in volunteering your time and expertise and want to be considered for appointment to this advisory board in the event of a vacancy, please contact the Mayor’s office for information at (630) 256-4636, or apply on line.
The City of Aurora is continually striving to reduce its environmental impact while increasing quality of life and promoting economic vitality.
The following is a list of the current Committees of the Board:
- Citizen Advisory Committee, which provides the Board with a larger breath of interest, knowledge and expertise from which to advise and educate the general public on sustainable and environmental policies and practices.
- Green Events Committee, which provides research, guide, organize and volunteer at events that will enhance, develop and create sustainable practices within the community.
- Grant and Award Research Committee, which provides research and assist in the application for grant opportunities that will enhance, develop and create sustainable practices within the community.
- Youth Outreach Committee, which develops youth oriented programs and activities that will enhance, develop and create sustainable practices within the community.
Functions and Duties
In order to maintain and implement the City's Sustainability Plan some examples of the Members' functions and duties include:
- Make recommendations to the City Council and the Mayor's Office for programs or actions designed to implement the recommendations contained in the City Sustainability Plan.
- Provide a forum for addressing public concerns related to sustainable and environmental policies and practices.
- Promoting a local movement, partnering with motivated stakeholders, establishing implementation priorities, identifying financing opportunities, and engaging local residents.
- Provide input on sustainability policies and practices that reflect the community values.
- Assist the City Council and the Mayor's Office in balancing community priorities and resources by advising them on sustainability issues.