The City of Aurora's Municipal Code Chapter 22 Human Rights Ordinance (PDF) prohibits discrimination based on:
- Gender, Age, Marital Status, Sexual Orientation
- Military Status
- National Origin or Ancestry
- Physical or Mental Disability
- Race, Color, Religion, or Creed
- Financial institutions
- Insurance companies
- Labor Organizations
- Public accommodations
- Public services and facilities
Who Can File a Complaint?
Any person claiming to be aggrieved by a discriminatory practice or act as set forth in the City of Aurora's Municipal Code Chapter 22 Human Rights Ordinance (PDF) may file a complaint with the Commission.
When Must a Complaint be Filed?
A complaint must be filed within 180 days from the date of the last occurrence of the alleged discriminatory practice.
How Can I File a Complaint?File Complaint Form Online:
- Aurora Human Relations Commission Complaint Form - English
- Aurora Human Relations Commission Complaint Form - Spanish
Please complete a complaint form. Complaint forms are available here in English and the Spanish.
If you prefer, you may mail or deliver your form in person to Human Relations Commission; 44 East Downer Place; Aurora, IL 60507.
- You can download and share the Aurora Human Relations Commission Brochure (PDF).
- The State of Illinois also provides protections against discrimination. If you believe you are the victim of discrimination, you may wish to visit State of Illinois Department of Human Rights for more information.
- Federal laws provide protection against discrimination for employees and job applicants under certain circumstances. Please visit the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission for more information.
Working With the Commission
The Human Relations Commission works to educate people about their rights under the ordinance and to help promote harmonious relations within our community. We would welcome an opportunity to work with your local community groups to help your members and further our work. Please contact us to discuss how we might work with your group.