Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I register a property maintenance code violation complaint with the division?
- How long can it take before junk and trash is cleaned up from a vacant lot or abandoned lot after I notify the City?
- How long can it take before tall grass and weeds is cut at a vacant lot or abandoned lot?
- What process is used to cite owners for property maintenance code violations?
- What happens if a building is posted as unfit for human occupancy?
- How long may I leave holiday decorations up? Can I have a garage sale? What else do I need to know?
- How do I get information on code violations for a property I do not own?
- Where should I store my trash and recycling containers?
- How do I enroll in the trash collection program?
- Is there a fee for registering my rental property?
- When does my rental license renew?
- I just paid for my license a few months ago. Why am I receiving a renewal so soon?
- How often are rental properties inspected?
- Do I have to attend landlord training every time I purchase or register a new rental property?
- I no longer own my rental property. Why did I receive a renewal form?
- I am renting my property to a family member. Do I still need to register it? What about background checks?
- Am I required to run background checks on my tenants each year?
- Criminal backgrounds contain sensitive information. Am I required to show them to the inspector?
- How will I know when my rental property will be inspected?
- What happens if I miss an inspection?
- How do I reschedule an inspection if I am unable to attend the time on the appointment letter?
- What happens if I do not pass my initial inspection?
- How do I evict a tenant?