Mayor's Office of Economic Development
Who We Are and What We Do
Under the direction of the Mayor, we shape and implement well planned and inclusive economic growth throughout the City. We work in tandem with other city departments and closely with key community and other groups that foster economic prosperity. MOED assimilates well-defined and forward-thinking goals of the administration then strategically plans and executes them in ways that benefit all Aurorans.
- Connect well-conceived planning with time-sensitive implementation.
- Recognize and nurture powerful synergies that stem from partnerships and work to align these interests and actions to create winning outcomes.
- Understand markets and sub-markets.
- Work with our business community to advance Aurora’s reputation as a jurisdiction that understands and respects the challenges of starting, operating, expanding, or relocating a business.
- Work to understand the financial and long-term impacts of all initiatives, plans and proposals.
- Seek creative financing solutions.
- Understand Aurora’s rich history, natural beauty and diverse and proud population.
- Believe that maintaining the City’s unique character is paramount and must be maintained.
- Strive to utilize the City’s core strengths – business, cultural, educational and humanitarian – and further position them to enhance our collective quality of life.
- See economic development as a way to create more and better employment opportunities and protect our environment.
- Assure that the city's investment in fiber optic infrastructure will create more smart and inclusive growth throughout the city.
Hollywood Casino Aurora
Hollywood Casino Aurora’s parent company, PENN Entertainment, Inc., intends to develop a new land-based casino and hotel adjacent to the Chicago Premium Outlets mall, near Exit 119 off I-88, which would replace the current Hollywood Casino Aurora riverboat property. The development, with an estimated budget of $360 million, is expected to include a modern, best-in-class casino and hotel with approximately 900 slots and 50 live table games (including a baccarat room and a poker room), a Barstool Sportsbook with the ability to host popular Barstool personalities and approximately 200 hotel rooms. In addition, the property will feature a full-service spa, high-quality bars and restaurants, approximately 10,000 square feet of meeting areas and an event center. Construction of the new property is expected to begin in late 2023, subject to city and regulatory approval.
- For more information about the New Hollywood Casino Aurora, click here.
- To view the Presentation Boards for this project, click here.
- See the traffic study reviewed by Aurora's Engineering Division here.
- Watch Public Meetings on the New Hollywood Casino Aurora
MOED's ARCGIS Hub contains specific information on current economic development projects throughout Aurora, including an interactive map and story board.