Aurora Police Cadets work throughout the department while gaining experience in a number of different units. Their duties include assisting officers in all three bureaus of the Aurora Police Department, the Bureau of Neighborhood Policing, the Bureau of Investigative Services and the Bureau of Support Services. Cadets have a number of duties, including assisting with traffic control, interacting with the community during various City of Aurora events, assisting different divisions with daily works tests, conducting Police Department tours, help file and maintain records.
More importantly, Police Cadets receive entry level training in a number of police related skill sets in order to better qualify them for their future careers as police officers. Police cadets work full time when not in school, and part time while attending school. During their tenure as a cadet, they attend college full-time and their community college tuition is reimbursed by the department.
Ready to Apply?
Make sure you follow all of the steps below to complete your application to become an entry-level Police Officer for the Aurora Police Department:
- Apply online at the City of Aurora's Human Resources Website.
- After applying on the City of Aurora's Human Resources portal, go to the National Testing Network website and click Apply Now.
You must complete all steps above to be considered for hiring.
Eligibility Requirements for Police Cadet
- Between 17 years of age, but not yet attained 19 years of age at time of test
- One of the following:
- Currently a senior in high school.
- Graduated from high school.
- Attained a GED (copy of GED certificate required).
- Obtained a home school certification through the Regional Superintendent of School.
- Have a minimum high school grade point average of 2.5 on a scale of 4.0 or equivalent (Copy of unofficial high school transcript required at time of application).
- Valid State of Illinois "Class D" driver’s license.
- Be a United States citizen.
- Be in excellent physical condition. (Will be required to pass POWER test within the first six months of hire).
- Beginning salary $15.02/hour.
- Part-time work during school year and full-time work during school breaks.
- Tuition provided toward an Associate Degree in a related field.
- Excellent career path in law enforcement.
- Health, dental, and life insurance coverage.
Have Questions or Need More Info?
If you have questions about the Aurora Police Department's Cadet position, the application process, or the hiring process, please reach out to the Aurora Police Department's Recruiting Team.