- City Services
- City Services I - Z
- Police Department
- Join APD
- Telecommunications Division Employment
Telecommunications Division Employment
The Aurora Police Department's 911 Telecommunications Center is looking for dispatchers!
Click here to apply!
As the dispatch center for the second-largest city in the State of Illinois and numerous other agencies, this fast-paced, exciting, challenging and rewarding career field is one of the most essential parts of public safety.
911 Telecommunicators are the first people to help when you have an emergency. As the backbone of the Aurora Police Department, they are responsible for receiving and processing emergency and non-emergency calls for police, fire, medical and other emergency services.
During a normal day, 911 Telecommunicators receive and process emergency and non-emergency calls from the public requesting police, fire, medical or other emergency services. They determine the location and nature of the emergency, establish priorities, and dispatch police, fire, ambulance or other emergency units as necessary. Beyond processing calls, telecommunicators also dispatch and track the locations of numerous public safety agencies dispatched by the Aurora Police Department's 911 Telecommunications Center. As incidents unfold, telecommunicators enter, update and retrieve information from a variety of computer systems and receive requests for information regarding vehicle registration, driving records and warrants, and provides pertinent data.
- Process emergency and non-emergency calls from the public requesting police, fire, medical or other emergency services.
- Dispatch and track the locations of public safety agencies dispatched by the Aurora Police Department's Telecommunications Center.
- Enter, update, and retrieve information from a variety of computer systems and receive requests for information regarding vehicle registration, driving records and warrants, and provides pertinent data.
- Operate a variety of communications equipment including Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD), Records Management System (RMS) radio consoles, telephones and other computer systems.
- Maintains required certifications to provide Emergency Medical Dispatch (EMD) and police related data entry and queries (Training and certification courses provided).
- Additional duties include monitoring dispatch equipment and systems; researching computer records, updating and maintaining computer files and databases; answering routine questions, and completing general office duties.
- Have the ability to multitask, have attention to detail and work with a team in a stressful, but rewarding, environment.
- Must have excellent communication skills and the ability to read and speak clearly in English. Bi-lingual candidates are desired and encouraged to apply.
- Pass job stimulation test (See details below).
- Type 40 words-per-minute with an at least 90% accuracy.
- Knowledge of basic computer skills.
- Have a high school diploma or G.E.D.
- Successfully pass a polygraph and psychological assessments, interview, background investigation, and meet physical requirements.
- Required to work rotating shifts during training, then first, second, or third shift including weekends and holidays.
- Candidates must successfully complete all training successfully as a part of the department's structured training program.
- Work in a rewarding environment and become the backbone of the overall public safety of our community.
- Full benefit package, including, health, dental, vision and life insurance coverage.
- IMRF Pension.
- Beginning salary is $29.09/hour.
- After six months, $29.76/hour.
- After first year, $30.33/hour.
- Annual increases thereafter.
How to Apply
- Click here to submit your application and upload the required documents.- Find the position "Telecommunications Operator I" and select "apply now."
- Applicants must pass the job simulation test before moving forward in the selection process.
- Visit: www.nationaltestingnetwork.com to register and select testing location.
- Note: There is a non-refundable testing fee of $46.00.
Posting is open until all vacancies are filled. Applications will be reviewed the 1st Monday of each month.