- Scientific name: Meleagris gallopavo
- Kingdom: Animalia
- Phylum: Chordata
- Class: Aves
- Family: Phasianidae
- Genus: Meleagris
- Species: M. gallopavo
- Benjamin Franklin wanted to make the turkey the symbol of America rather than the bald eagle.
- Turkeys do not migrate and are diurnal (daytime).
- They roost in trees at night.
- Turkeys are very wary, and have keen eyesight and hearing.
- Turkeys are herbivores; eating primarily plants, seeds, and berries.
- They weigh 8 to 18 pounds with a wingspan 48 inches (4 feet)