Special Events F.A.Q.

How do I apply for a Special Event Permit?

You can find our Special Event application on our Permits and Applications page - www.aurora-il.org/Permits-Applications. Simply applying does NOT guarantee that you will be issued a permit. 

What can I do if I miss the application deadline?

If you miss the deadline, we recommend that you call the city of Aurora Special Events Division before proceeding. In extenuating circumstances, the Special Events Division may consider late applications and may charge a late application fee. If you miss the deadline and wish to request permission to submit a late application, you must submit this request in writing to the Special Events Manager, who will consider these requests on a case-by-case basis. 

Why does my permit take so long to process?

The Special Events Division interfaces with many other City departments and other agencies in order to sign off on the various sub-permits and plans necessary before approving a Special Event Permit. These departments have their own workloads and projects in addition to verifying documents and/or performing inspections. This is one of the reasons why it is critical that you meet the application deadline for your event. 

Why was my event permit application denied?

The number one reason why applications are denied is because applicants fail to submit the required documents by the deadline. Please allow adequate time to plan your event, keeping the application requirements and all applicable deadlines in mind during the process.

I'm a vendor and want to sell my product at upcoming events. How can I do that? 

Please send an inquiry email to [email protected] that includes your name, business and what event(s) you would like to participate in. A member from the Special Events Division will connect you with appropriate person(s).

I've submitted my application. What are the next steps? 

Provided that the event date and location were available at the time of your submission, your location and date will be tentatively held. The Special Events Division will begin processing your materials and will be in contact with you to provide you with updates, recommendations, or requests for additional information. Simultaneously, the Special Events Division will be coordinating with multiple City departments and other agencies to assess the needs of your event, including sub-permits and other planning considerations. Submitting an application does NOT guarantee that you will secure a permit. 

What is an Emergency Action Plan?

It is an outline of the process that would happen if anyone attending the event were to become sick or injured during the event, or if another emergency occurred during the event. This plan should identify emergency exits, crowd managers, emergency notification methods, and how organizers will deal with emergencies. You can view Emergency Action Plan guidelines and template in the glossary. 

How do I plan an event or gathering in a City park?

The City of Aurora Parks Department handles requests for the majority of events on park property, with the exception of RiverEdge Park, which is handled by the Aurora Civic Center Authority. For more information on RiverEdge Park, please visit www.riveredgeaurora.com. For more information on holding events at City parks, please send an inquiry email to [email protected] that includes your name, a specific City park you wish to hold your event at and an event date. A member from the Special Events Division will connect you with the appropriate person(s).

What do I need to do to shoot a film, commercial, ect. in Aurora?

For any filming on City streets, sidewalks, parks, or other City property, please contact the Special Events Division - (630) 256-3370 or by email - [email protected]