- Scientific name: Python molurus
- Kingdom: Animalia
- Phylum: Chordata
- Class: Reptilia
- Order: Squamata
- Family: pythonidae
- Genus: Python
- Species: P. molurus
- Pythons are in the constrictor family of snakes.
- They kill their prey by squeezing it until it suffocates.
- Heat sensors along the upper lip as well as its keen sense of smell, help it to find prey.
- These snakes have caused an upset in the wildlife in Southern Florida because they become too big to keep as a pet and were released into the wild.
- Pythons eat amphibians, lizards, other snakes, birds and mammals.
- They can live up to 25 years.
- Burmese pythons can grow up to 20 feet long and weigh over 200 pounds.