City Ordinance 42-6 requires the removal of any obstruction from any city street, such as garbage cans or basketball hoops. Not only does this impede snow removal but can cause damage to city plow trucks. Additionally, City Ordinance 42-22 requires all mail boxes to be installed according to United States Postal Service Standards (see PS Form 4056 (PDF)).
The City of Aurora Snow Command would like to remind everyone of some tips to aid in snow removal from city streets.
- Do not allow children to play in or around snow piles or to make snow forts in the public right of way (the area between the sidewalk and street and cul de sac islands).
- When cleaning driveway approaches and sidewalks do not put snow in the street.
- Stay back at least 75 feet from the rear of any plow truck and do not pass snow plow trucks at any time. During snow operations, plow trucks are considered Emergency Vehicles and should be treated as such.
- Please help us help you get to where you are going safely.
- When it snows, don't park vehicles on streets until plowing operations are completed. It is illegal after 2 inches or more of snow fall. (City Ordinance 27-171)
- Remove all obstructions from streets such as basketball hoops, trash cans or any other items that would prevent snow cleanup. (City Ordinance 42-6)
- Make sure that your mailbox meets USPS standards of installation. (City Ordinance 42-22. See also PS Form 4056 (PDF))
- When cleaning driveway approaches and sidewalks do not put snow in the street. (City Ordinance 42-11)