The Bicycle Friendly Community program, created by the League of American Bicyclists, provides a roadmap to improving conditions for bicycling and provides guidance to help turn a community´s vision for a better, bikeable community into reality.
The Building Blocks of a Bicycle Friendly Community consist of 10 key metrics for a community to focus on in order to effectively improve bicycling. Aurora currently holds a Bronze designation, with a goal of moving to up to a Silver designation in 2020.
Building Blocks of a Bike-Friendly Community
- High speed roads with bicycle facilities
- Total bicycle network mileage in relation to total road network mileage
- Bicycle education in schools
- Share of transportation budget spent on bicycling
- Bike Month and Bike to Work events
- Active bicycle advocacy group
- Active bicycle advisory committee
- Bike-friendly laws and ordinances
- Bike plan is current and being implemented
- Bike program staff-to-population ratio