Historic Preservation Grant Program
The City of Aurora is proud to announce that applications are being sought for a new Historic Preservation Grant Program. The application deadline for the 2023 cycle is Monday, January 23, 2023 at 5:00 PM. Applications can be submitted to the following: emailed to [email protected] (please provide all required documents in one email); mailed to City of Aurora, Zoning and Planning, 44 E. Downer Place, Aurora, IL 60507; or delivered to Zoning and Planning, 77 S. Broadway, Aurora, IL 60505. If applied for previous grant cycles, please resubmit application to be considered for the 2023 cycle.
The primary objective of the City of Aurora’s Preservation Commission is the conservation and revitalization of the City’s historic neighborhoods. Key to this effort is the preservation of the City’s unique heritage as exemplified through historic and architecturally significant residential structures. The City of Aurora has set aside funding in order to help property owners achieve these objectives.
The Preservation Grant Program is a competitive, reimbursable grant for exterior historic rehabilitation projects. Payments will only be made following approval of the grant and upon completion and approval of the work. Work completed prior to grant approval is not eligible for reimbursement. The minimum amount of each grant is $5,000 and the maximum is $20,000. All grants at or under $10,000 requires no cash match. All grants over $10,000 require a dollar for dollar amount for every dollar over $10,000.
- Designated as historic within the City of Aurora
- Owner-occupied residential property
- Not more than two (2) living units unless originally built with more
- Proof of ownership
- Exterior work only
- The following work is ineligible: driveway repavement, new asphalt roofs, fencing, and landscaping
- Detailed narrative of scope
- Two cost estimates
- Historic Certificate of Appropriateness (HCOA)
- Meet all other eligibility requirements found on the Historic Preservation Grant Guidelines
- This is a reimbursement Grant Program where the City will reimburse the owner after the work is completed and approved
Documents - Grant Application
Documents - Grant Recipients (only required after grant approval)