- City Services
- Aurora Poet Laureate
Aurora Poet Laureate
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Aurora Poet Laureate will celebrate the heritage, uniqueness, diversity and achievements of the City of Aurora through the art and appreciation of poetry. The Aurora Poet Laureate will serve a two-year term with the inaugural laureate serving until the end of the first term of Mayor Richard C. Irvin in 2021.
The work of the Aurora Poet Laureate will:
- Enhance the experience of local events with poetry.
- Celebrate Aurora’s past, present, and future by adding to a lasting legacy of written poems.
- Bring people together through a shared experience of poetry.
- Instill an appreciation of poetry as an art form and as a means of self-expression.
The Aurora Poet Laureate will make appearances at city and community events and present original work created specifically for the event. These events include but are not limited to:
- City-sponsored parades and public gatherings
- City meetings and special occasions
- Ribbon Cuttings, Grand Openings and Dedication Ceremonies
- Major anniversaries of local institutions
- Public cultural events hosted by a City board or commission
The Aurora Poet Laureate must be:
- a self-identified poet
- a full-time resident of Aurora for the duration of the position
- available to participate in public events for the duration of the position
SELECTION PROCESS AND TIMELINE
An ad hoc committee selected by the mayor will select the Aurora Poet Laureate based on the strength of qualifications demonstrated by the following:
- Responses to this written application.
- Prepared writing samples.
- Personal interview and oral presentation (for finalists).
The deadline for submitting this completed application is Friday, October 18, 2019 at 4 p.m.
Candidates who meet the basic qualifications will be considered first on the basis of their written application. Finalists will be invited for a personal interview and poetry reading between October 22 and October 29, 2019.
A final selection will be announced on Tuesday, November 5, 2019.
Interested residents may submit an application in one of three ways:
- ONLINE at www.aurora-il.org/AuroraPoetLaureate
- EMAIL completed application in electronic form by preparing a Portable Document Format (PDF) document containing your responses, numbered to match each question application. Send the electronic application via email to [email protected].
- DELIVERED by mail or in person to: Mayor Richard C. Irvin’s Office | Aurora City Hall | 44 E. Downer Place | Aurora, IL 60507
Application packets will not be returned. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.