Police Officer Employment - Entry Level
ARE YOU INTERESTED IN A CAREER AS A POLICE OFFICER? LEARN MORE ABOUT THE AURORA POLICE DEPARTMENT!
APD is not currently accepting applications, but testing will reopen soon! Fill out the form below to connect with our Recruiting Team and get updates for when we next open applications to join APD.
Are you currently a police officer in the State of Illinois and certified by the Illinois Law Enforcement Training Standards Board? Click here for information about our lateral transfer hiring program.
Eligibility to Become a Police Officer
- Candidates must be at least 20 years of age and under 35 years of age at the time of online wrtten exam, but must be at least 21 years of age and under 36 years of age at time of appointment, pursuant to the Illinois Municipal Code as amended (65 ILCS 5/10-1-1 et seq.).
- Must be an U.S. citizen at the time of appointment.
- Must possess a valid Class “D” Illinois driver’s license or a valid out-of-state driver’s license of similar classification.
- The applicant must have achieved a high school diploma with a grade point average of 2.0 out of 4.0 (or an equivalent on a scale with a maximum grade point average other than 4.0), or a G.E.D. with a passing score equivalent to 2.0 grade point average, or at least sixteen (16) hours of college credit with a grade point average of 2.0 out of 4.0 (or an equivalent on a scale with a maximum grade point average other than 4.0) regardless of high school grade point average or G.E.D. composite score.
- Must be able to meet vision standard at time of appointment. Must be correctable to 20/20 with both eyes open including field of vision/depth perception/color vision within normal ranges.
- Must possess a valid Peace Officer Wellness Evaluation Report (POWER) Test card. Certifications will be considered valid within one (1) year of the issuance date.
- Must be of excellent moral character and personal integrity.
- Must able be to pass a subsequent polygraph and psychological examination will be required, in addition to a thorough background investigation, drug screen and per-employment physical.