Aurora Public Library
The library consists of the Main (Richard and Gina Santori) Library, 2 branch libraries, an Express Center and the Bookmobile:
HistoryThe Aurora Public Library has been serving the public since 1881 when it was established by city ordinance as a tax-supported institution.
- Aurora Public Library was erected in 1904 at 1 E Benton St. through a gift from Andrew Carnegie. In 1969, the building was completely remodeled and refurbished.
- The library began offering Bookmobile service in 1953.
- In 1993, the Eola Road Branch opened to the public on the east side of the city. The Eola Road Branch is in a building shared with the Fox Valley Park District.
- In 1998, the West Branch opened to the public on the west side of the city. The West Branch library is housed in a building shared with Washington Middle School.
- In 2010, a minivan was purchased to deliver library materials to homebound customers.
- In 2012, the Express Center opened at 1100 Church Road.
- On May 23, 2015, the Main Library at 1 E Benton St. was closed.
- On June 14, 2015, the Richard and Gina Santori Public Library of Aurora (101 S River St.) was opened to the public with a grand opening celebration that drew more than 2,000 people.
Services & CollectionsLibrary Services and Collections include:
- Book discussions and other programs for adults and teens
- Books, videos, DVDs, audio books, and more
- Genealogy and Local History materials, training and assistance
- In-person and online (email and chat) reference and reader services
- Inter library loan lending privileges
- Outreach Services to nursing homes, elementary schools, homebound persons and others
- Public access computers for online research and word processing
- Story time, craft and other children's programming
- Summer Reading Program for all ages