Watch Person & Contact Method
Any building containing a required Fire Protection system (fire alarm, sprinkler, fire pump, etc) where the system is out of service for more than 4 hours and occupied; is required to establish a fire watch. One person shall be assigned to the fire watch, where this must be his/her only job duty during that time period and be provided with at least 1 method of contacting the Fire Department in an emergency.
Impairment Coordinator, Service Tags
In addition, the building owner is required to have an impairment coordinator. The out of service equipment must be tagged out of service tag. The out of service tag must be placed at the fire alarm panel and the fire department connection. (Reference 2009 International Fire Code Section 901.7)
Steps to Take for Impairment
- The area or buildings involved have been inspected and the increased risk determined.
- The extent and expected duration of the impairment have been determined.
- The Fire Department has been notified.
- The insurance carrier, Alarm Company, building owner / manager and other authorities having jurisdictions have been notified.
- Necessary tools and materials have been assembled on the impairment site.
- Recommendations have been submitted to management/building owner.
- The supervisors in the area affected have been notified.
- A tag impairment system has been implemented.