Outdoor Commercial Pyrotechnics
Requirements for Pyrotechnic DisplaysSubmit Fire Prevention Bureau permit application with the following information no less than 15 days before event.
- Bond of $1,000,000
- List of fireworks to be displayed (number, size, division)
- Statement of maximum weight of fireworks to be on site at anytime
- Site plan showing location and distance to vehicle parking, street, audience, lot lines, buildings overhead obstructions and site security
- Provide at least 2 water based fire extinguishers. Any additional fire protection indicates on application.
- Method and protection of onsite storage of fireworks
- Source of electricity
- Site security
- Name of contact person and phone number.
- Copy of Department of Transportation - transportation license
- Copy of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms (ATF) license
- Copy of State of Illinois Pyrotechnic license
- Application must be signed by 3 adults (Company, Sponsor, and Applicant)
- Proof of assistant's age(s) and name(s)
Display SiteThe display site is the immediate area where a fireworks display is conducted. The display area includes the discharge site, the fallout area, and the required separation distance from the mortars to spectator viewing areas. The display area does not include spectator viewing or vehicle parking areas.
Fallout AreaThe areas over which aerial shells are fired. The shells burst over the area, and unsafe debris and malfunctioning aerial shells fall into this area. The fallout area is the location where a typical aerial shell dud falls to the ground depending on the wind and the angle or mortar placement.
Discharge SiteThe immediate area surrounding the fireworks mortars used for an outdoor fireworks display.
- International Fire Code (IFC) 2009
- National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 101 Life Safety Code
- NFPA 160 Standard for Flame Effects before an Audience
- NFPA 1123 Code for Fireworks Displays
- NFPA1126 Standard for the Use of Pyrotechnics before a Proximate Audience
- Code of Federal Register (CFR) Titles 49 and 16
- 425 ILCS35 Fireworks Act
- 225ILCS227 Pyrotechnic Operators License
Call 630-256-4130 for an application.