Development Services Department
Aurora's Development Services Department works to coordinate the efforts of the various city divisions involved in bringing development and public works projects to life.
The Development Services Center will be Closed to the public until further notice, staff though, will continue to perform the vast majority of our Development Related functions please see specifics below.
- Building & Permits Applications: Residents and contractors are encouraged to submit building permit requests electronically by emailing to Building&[email protected] . Required permit construction sets shall be mailed or delivered.
- Building & Permits Inspections: If the activity is new construction or rehab with NO residential occupants in place, COA will continue conducting inspections. If the activity is residential rehab or remodeling with residents in place; Inspections will not be scheduled until after April 01st. At that time please see our web page to see if we will be accepting residential occupied structure inspections. Unscheduled or un-resulted inspections for this interim period will not delay contractor licensing renewals.
- Rental Housing Annual Inspections: NO COA annual rental housing inspections of occupied units will be conducted through April 30th. Currently scheduled Inspections of these units will occur when the pandemic subsides or within the next calendar year of the rental program.
- Housing Court Hearings: Scheduled Housing Court Hearings have been continued to either May 14th or May 21st you will be contacted with your rescheduled date.
- Planning Council & Historic Preservation: These meetings will be postponed unless otherwise determined. Applicants will be notified via electronic means of progress and approval status.
- Planning Commission & Zoning Board of Appeals: Statutorily required, Plan Commission and ZBA meetings required to keep development projects progressing will still occur on an as needed basis.
- Development Services Team (DST) Meetings: Until further notice we will attempt to perform DST meetings via conference call or skype. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
About Development Services
The Development Services Department operates as the central coordinator of all development within the City of Aurora. It assists in the coordination and cooperation among various city departments to achieve common development goals and implements plans and policies established by the Mayor and City Council.
- Provide support and oversight to the Planning & Zoning, Building & Permits, and Airport Divisions, as well as other major functions of economic development.
- Provide support to the Mayor and City Council for projects and programs important to the community.
- Facilitate interaction among divisions involved in the development process.
- Provide decision making and oversight to the many and varied public infrastructure projects.
2017 Major Accomplishments
- Assisted Invest Aurora with redevelopment agreements for three major buildings in the downtown.*
- Facilitated the construction of the remaining 30,000 square foot building to complete the expansion of the Chicago Premium Outlets.*
- Finalized the inspection of the multi-family development at Station Boulevard for the issuance of occupancy permits.
- Lobbied for the extension of the Illinois Historic Preservation Tax
- Credit Program for the River Edge Redevelopment Zone.*
- Researched and promoted new programs and processes to increase customer service to the development community.*
- Assisted in the sale of the ballfields located at the airport.
* Linked to the city's strategic plan
2016 Major Accomplishments
- Updated the Seize the Future master plan for the downtown area.
- Assisted in the development process resulting in the re-use of several key downtown buildings.
- Developed a revitalization plan for the Route 59 retail corridor in conjunction with the State Route 59 widening project north of New York.
- Developed a revitalization plan for the Lake Street corridor.