Riddle Highlands Historic District

About the District


The Riddle Highlands subdivision was platted in 1922. It was formerly a popular driving park. Construction in the Highlands began in the early 1920’s, and by 1930 approximately 50 homes had been built, most of these by the developer, Frank Riddle. On February 15, 1928, Riddle purchased all of the Highlands from the Aurora Real Estate Company. The subdivision is noted for its fine collection of Period Revival style homes.

Through the efforts of area residents to preserve the character of their neighborhood, Riddle Highlands was designated a local historic district in 1989. The pillars which adorn all the entrances to Riddle Highlands have been carefully reconstructed to match the original pillars. The white cap is made of terra cotta with a cracked glaze. The pillars provide a stately welcome to all who enter the subdivision.

The map for the Riddle Highlands Historic District.

Details


  • Historic Tour Stop - Lake Street (Route 31)/Northgate Shopping Center, S
  • Locally Designated Historic District 1989
  • PACE Route 523 - North Lake Street