About the District
On June 25, 1981, the Aurora City Council voted to designate the Near Eastside area the first local historic district. Since Aurora's founding in 1837, the neighborhood encompassed by the Near Eastside Historic District has been significant in the architectural and developmental history of the city. The original village plat by Samuel and Joseph McCarty included portions of the district and established a town square where McCarty Park is today.
During the late nineteenth century, leading members of society chose to build their homes along Fourth, Lincoln, and LaSalle Streets. The wide variety of architectural styles that were popular during the Victorian era (1860 - 1900) can still be found along these streets. The district has been determined to be eligible for the National Register of Historic Places.
- Designated A Local Historic District in 1981
- Historic Tour Stop
Begin: Galena Boulevard/Fourth Street
End: New York Street/Fourth Street
- PACE Route 530 Fox Valley Center