Presently the home of the Aurora Historical Museum, this brick home was originally built in 1856 for William Tanner, a prominent Aurora hardware merchant. The plan is designed in the shape of a Latin cross. It is an exceptional example of Italianate architecture. Particularly noteworthy are the octagonal cupola, the large diagonal wooden brackets with pendants, and the pediment-like window hoods. Also noteworthy is its state of preservation. Aside from the removal of the railings from the two front balconettes and remodeled porch, the house has not been altered significantly for 125 years. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. An admission fee is charged.