Max Franch, a local merchant, built this Italian Renaissance style home in 1926. Note the symmetrical facade, arched door, and arches above the first floor windows. In 1933, it was purchased by Harry C. Murphy who later became President of the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad. Before becoming president in 1949, Murphy literally worked in every department of the railroad. It was under Murphy’s direction that the Burlington made many of its railroading innovations.