The Westside National Register Historic District is listed on the National Register Historic District 1986.
The area was first platted in 1842 by Zaphna and Theodore Lake, two brothers originally from New York. They purchased the land from the government in 1835. The first house constructed in the area was the Lake log cabin near Galena and Lake Streets (demolished). In 1854 the area became the Town of West Aurora, and in 1857 merged with the east side to become the City of Aurora. Most of the structures in the district were built in the years between 1850 and 1920. Pioneers came first to settle, then those who prospered later moved to the Downer Place area from other neighborhoods.
Historic Tour Stops
Begin: PACE Route 524 - Downer Place
End: PACE Route 526 - West Plaza, Galena Boulevard/View Street