The former C.B. and Q. Roundhouse adjacent to the Transportation Center dates from 1855 to 1865, and is the only standing full stone roundhouse in the U.S. It was listed individually on the National Register of Historic Places. The Roundhouse was an architectural ruin when Walter Payton and his partners renovated the building in 1996. On October 22, 1999, it was selected by the National Trust for Historic Preservation as one of the nation's top rehabilitated buildings.
The Walter Payton Roundhouse Complex features America's Brewpub restaurant, a microbrewery, an outdoor courtyard for summer concerts, banquet facilities, a gift shop and the Walter Payton Museum. Many of the former employees of the C.B.& Q. are memorialized with commemorative bricks in the courtyard. Aurorans from many nationalities worked in these historic facilities, including Irish, German, Luxembourger, African, Roumanian, and Mexican.
Walter Payton's Roundhouse Complex
205 N Broadway (Route 25)
Aurora, IL 60505