The Lincoln Highway Shelter is one of the original auto-camps constructed along the highway that offered those traveling on a budget an appealing alternative to a hotel stay. Opportunistic civic boosters often established such facilities to promote good reputations for their towns and entice the increasing number of auto travelers to stay and buy groceries and gas. The Shelter at Phillips Park was constructed in 1923 by the Aurora Automobile Club, and the 1924 edition of the Complete Official Road Guide of the Lincoln Highway noted that this new "free camping ground at the City Park" had 2 fireplaces, 2 ovens and a sink in addition to a "good well of pure drinking water just outside the building."
The Lincoln Highway Association is dedicated to keeping the highway in
the public consciousness and preserving the few remaining stretches of
the original highway. In 2000, the Illinois portion was designated a
National Scenic Byway by the U.S. Department of Transportation, leading
many modern-day auto-tourists to rediscover the joy and adventure of
traveling off the beaten path.
Route 30 (Hill Avenue), near Phillips Park Golf Course Entrance
Aurora, IL 60505