The Lincoln Highway Shelter was constructed by the Aurora Automobile Club around 1923 to provide tourists, or "Motor Hobos" traveling along the Lincoln Highway a place to camp. The Shelter has been restored to its original 1924 appearance using grants including one from the Illinois Department of Commerce and Community Affairs. The restoration includes a new wood roof, operable fireplaces, re-pointed bricks, restored stucco, and a pump for water.
In addition to restoring the building, its original use as a tourist haven has been restored with interpretive plaques featuring the history of the Lincoln Highway, directional signage, and brochures for regional attractions along the highway.
of the restoration project.