Business Licenses

In the City of Aurora, a business license is not required to operate a business. However, there are certain types of businesses that do require a license or have specific health, zoning, and/or state requirements.

Businesses That Require A License

Businesses that require a license from the City of Aurora include:
  • Adult Uses
  • Amusement Devices (Distributor, Pool Halls, Casino Games, Arcade, Individual)
  • Automatic Music (Juke Box)
  • Cigarettes and Other Tobacco Products
  • Closing or Going out of Business Sales
  • Junk/Scavengers
  • Liquor Establishments
  • Pawn Dealer Shops
  • Second Hand Stores
  • Spray Paint Dealers
  • Taxicabs

Additional Health/Zoning Requirements

Some businesses may have specific health, state or zoning requirements or require a license from another licensing body. If your business involves Food Service, Sale, and Distribution, including Ice Cream Vending, you should contact your county's health department Kane County-Aurora Only, at 630-897-1124; Kane County-Outside Aurora at 630-208-3801; Kendall County at 630-553-9100; DuPage County at 630-682-7400; and Will County at 815-727-8480.

Home-Based Day Care

Home-based Day Care Businesses must be licensed through the State of Illinois. The process begins with contacting the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services at 630-801-3400.

Retail Sales

Businesses that involve Retail Sales, including Hotels or Motels, Sole Proprietorships, Partnerships, Corporations, etc., are required to register with the Illinois Department of Revenue (wholesalers and service businesses, i.e. doctors, dentists are excluded). You may reach them toll free at 800-732-8866 or locally at 630-293-8300. Locally, they have an office at:
245 W Roosevelt Road
West Chicago, IL 60185

This office is open Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.


All peddlers must be registered with the City of Aurora.
  • To register to peddle non-food and/or non-drink items, contact the City Clerk's Office at 630-256-3070.
  • To register to peddle any food and/or drink items, please fill out the following form: Peddler Registration Form and contact the Finance Department at 630-256-3560.
  • To conduct a "tag day" event (a fundraising event sponsored by a not-for-profit organization), contact the Aldermen's Office at 630-256-3020.

For additional information and requirements of the City's Peddler Ordinance, please see Chapter 32 of the City's Code of Ordinances entitled, Peddlers, Canvassers, and Solicitors.

For more information, please contact the City of Aurora's Revenue and Collections Division.