1900s - 1910s
Park Commissioners appointed. Commissioned by state law.
City Council accepted bid by J.N. Little and J.R. Hagerman for construction of custodian's house. Designed by architect Eugene Malmer, the house was completed by 1910. City Letter Re: Bids Advertised for the Construction/Bid Rec. $1,760 on file.
The Moses family tradition: There was a Moses employed as the Park Superintendent or the equivalent position, from 1910 to 1984, for a total of 74 years.
- George from 1910 to 1926. He died in 1926 at the age of 70 and his funeral was held at his home in the park. He was born in Plymouth, England. Refer to 1926 entry.
- Ray C. Moses (George's son) was named Superintendent following George's death. He was largely responsible for the next fifty years of constant growth and expansion, making Phillips one of the most beautiful parks in the area. In 1978 he was named Director and retired in 1984. Ray died August 30, 1990.
- In 1978 Ed (Ray's son) was made Superintendent. He started in 1946 and retired in 1984.
- In June 2000 Ron (Ray's son) was appointed as the 3rd Ward Alderman, after Alderman Ken Hinterlong moved out of the ward, which encompasses Phillips Park. In 2001 Ron Moses ran, uncontested for the position. In 2002 he announced he would not run for another term.
The Greenhouse was built.
- 1915 - Cactus moved to the greenhouse.
- 1920s - The greenhouse expansion took place.
- 1936 - One hundred eighty walnut trees started in greenhouse and were moved to island once they reached 6 to 8 feet.
- 1937 - At this time 50,000 plants and 25,000 flowers were grown annually in the greenhouse, in addition to 1,800 trees and 2,000 shrubs.
- 1939 - Photo of Greenhouse with Ray and Ed Moses from November of that year on file.
- 1960 - Booklet created by Moses identifying plant life on the island was distributed.
- 1991 - Greenhouse demolished.
- 1994 - New 4,000 square foot Greenhouse built for $93,000, replacing an 80 year-old facility.
Band Concerts through 1920. Photo dated 1910 from The Aurora Story read: Aurora Street Railway streetcar: Band Concert Evans Park Tonight.
The Birdhouse was built with a glass roof, at an estimated cost of $1,600.
- It was wrecked by a hailstorm in 1933.
- 1984 - The outdoor Bird Flight (cage) was built.
- 1985 - The new Birdhouse opened in May. Refer to 1985 Entry.
- 1989 - The Birdhouse sign, carved by Kris Risvold, was installed above the west entrance.
- 1999 - The interior of the Birdhouse was redecorated.
- 2001 - The Bird Flight was reconstructed.
Centennial Pageant held in Phillips Park with 5,000 people in attendance.
Myron Howard West developed and published the "Systems of Parks for Aurora."