1980s

1984


Vietnam F-105 Thunderchief Fighter-Bomber "Whistling Death" installed at park on July 18. Built in 1953.
  • Beacon article in 1995 announced the Thud Jet was to be moved.
  • It was later moved to the Aurora Municipal Airport's Air Classics Museum of Aviation.

1985


Friends of Phillips Park Advisory Committee established.
  • In 1982 the City Council established and appointed a 9 member Advisory Committee.
  • In 1991 the FOPP received the Image Maker Award from the Greater Aurora Chamber of Commerce.

1985


The New Birdhouse opened in May.
  • 1984 - The outdoor Bird Flight (cage) was built.
  • Farfel the Macaw was stolen in '86 and '87.
  • The Birdhouse sign, carved by Kris Risvold, was placed above the west entrance.
  • 1999 - Dillon the Parrot was donated.
  • 1999 - The interior of the Birdhouse was redecorated.
  • 2001 - The Bird Flight was reconstructed.
  • 2002 - "Kenai" the bald eagle arrived in July.

1988


The Mastodon Lake 1 Mile Trail was constructed as a Pedestrian and Bicycle Pathway.
  • The Dedication Ceremony was held on Sunday, September 11, 1991.