Water Conservation Ordinance
On May 28, 2013, the Aurora City Council amended Chapter 48, Section 31, of the Aurora Code of Ordinances by amending the existing Water Conservation Ordinance. Violation of this section shall result in a fine of $50 for the first offense. Each subsequent offense shall result in a fine that increases by increments of $50 up to a maximum fine amount of $1,000 per violation. The key elements of the Ordinance, which was effective immediately upon passage by the City Council, are as follows:
- Customers are permitted to water lawns based on the "odd/even" protocol (based on last digit of street address), between the hours of 6 a.m. and 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. This provides an average of 21 hours of potential watering time per week.
- Customers with permanently installed, automatic irrigation systems are permitted to water lawns and other landscape using those systems under the same provisions listed above. This provides an average of 21 hours of potential watering time per week.
- Median strips and other areas which cannot be identified as "odd" or "even" are designated as "even" for the purpose of this ordinance.
- Watering is not permitted on July 31 and August 31 of each year. This applies to all customers, automatic or manual systems, odd or even addresses, etc.
- Plant watering using harvested rainwater, reclaimed greywater, or recycled effluent may be performed at any time.
- The waste of water is prohibited. No person shall allow water to run off into a ditch or street, nor shall any person spray or sprinkle streets or sidewalks.
- Watering of plants, trees, gardens, etc., and filling of swimming pools having a volume of less than 50 gallons, is permitted at all times, provided a hand-held hose of one-inch diameter or less is used and is continuously attended.
- Washing of vehicles is permitted at all times, provided a hose of one-inch diameter or less equipped with a shut-off type nozzle is used.
- Sod laying and lawn seeding are prohibited during the months of July and August each year. During other months, special permits for watering of sod or seed during the first 10 days after placement may be obtained from the Buildings and Permits Division at 630-256-3130.
- Special permits regulating the use of water for landscaping purposes by commercial enterprises may be obtained from the Department of Public Works 630-256-3200.