The inaugural members of the Aurora Education Commission held their first meeting on Monday, August 20 at Aurora City Hall. Mayor Irvin and the Aurora City Council approved the appointment of the members earlier this summer and the team convened in preparation for the new school year. The Commission will focus, in part on graduation rates, getting students to college, and helping students to prepare for the workforce.
The Education Commission meets on the 3rd Monday of each month from 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. on the 5th Floor of Aurora City Hall, 44 E. Downer Place. Meetings are open to the public.
Members representing the public schools include:
• Dr. Jeff Craig, West Aurora School District superintendent
• Dr. Lisa Hichens, Batavia School District superintendent
• Dr. Todd Leden, Kaneland School District superintendent
• Dr. Jennifer Norrell, East Aurora School District superintendent
• Dr. John Sparlin, Oswego School District 308 superintendent
• Dr. Karen Sullivan, Indian Prairie School District 204 superintendent
• Dr. Jose Torres, Illinois Math and Science Academy president
Representing colleges and universities are:
• Dr. Rebecca Sherrick, Aurora University president
• Dr. Christine Sobek, Waubonsee Community College president
• Dr. Mablene Krueger, Robert Morris University president
• Maria Lopez, St. Augustine College director.
Representing private & parochial schools are:
• Karen Behrns, Pope John Paul II Catholic Academy principal.
• Dr. Collette House, Aurora Christian superintendent
• Lynor Johnson, Fox Valley Montessori director
• Phil Lundquist, Covenant Christian School principal
Members representing the early childhood sector are:
• Mariana Osorio, Family Focus director
• Patricia Rooney, SPARK director.
Business representatives are
• Dhevi Kandasamy, co-founder of Orthosie.
• Carl Wegman, R.C. Wegman Construction Company president
The representative of the Aurora City Council is:
• 9th Ward Alderman Edward Bugg
• Christine Anderson, EL coordinator for West Aurora School District.
• Sandra Harrison, Leaders In Transformational Education program director