The City of Aurora will take time on the Fourth of July holiday to pay special tribute to its healthcare heroes for their stalwart efforts during COVID-19 and their daily sacrifices beyond the pandemic.
Aurora Mayor Richard C. Irvin announced yesterday the City’s plans to host a Fourth of July procession led by public safety vehicles that will begin and end at Aurora’s main medical centers and travel past nursing homes and senior care facilities along the route.
“While the traditional Fourth of July Parade isn’t possible this year, we will still take the time to honor our heroes and celebrate our nation during a Fourth of July Procession,” said Mayor Richard C. Irvin. “Last year, we honored our 911 Operators in Aurora. This year, we’ll honor our doctors, nurses and all healthcare professionals for their work during these trying times and each day of the year. They certainly have helped to keep our community together while sacrificing so much of themselves in the process.”
The “Salute to Healthcare Workers” Fourth of July Procession will begin at 10 a.m. on Saturday, July 4 at Rush-Copley Medical Center, 2000 Ogden Avenue, on Aurora’s far eastside and end on the westside at AMITA Health Mercy Medical Center, 1325 N. Highland Ave.
On the procession route, the motorcade will travel past seven nursing homes and senior care facilities, including Alden of Waterford, Sunnymere Senior Living Community, Jennings Terrace, Presence Fox Knoll, Elmwood Terrace Nursing Home, Symphony of Orchard Valley and Bickford of Aurora.
The route includes many neighborhoods, schools, downtown Aurora, and open parking spaces where residents can safely gather and socially distance to celebrate the occasion.
The Aurora City Council, Aurora Police Department, the Aurora Fire Department, the Aurora Emergency Management Agency and the Kane County Sheriff’s Department will provide vehicles for the procession.
The 2020 Fourth of July Procession Route:
• Begin at Rush Copley Medical Center (10 a.m.)
• Northbound on Waterford Dr. to Alden Circle
• Past Alden of Waterford to Montgomery Rd.
• Westbound on Montgomery Rd. to Hill Ave.
• Northbound on Hill Ave. to Sixth Ave.
• Westbound on Sixth Ave. past Sunnymere Senior Living Community to Smith St.
• Northbound on Smith St. to Fifth Ave.
• Westbound on Fifth Ave. to Jackson St.
• Northbound on Jackson St. to North Ave.
• Westbound on North Av. to Lasalle St.
• Northbound on Lasalle St. past Jennings Terrace to Downer Pl.
• Westbound on Downer Pl. to River St. ( approx.10:25 a.m.)
• Northbound on River St. to West Park Ave.
• Westbound on West Park Av. past Presence Fox Knoll to Lake St.
• Southbound on Lake St. to Galena Blvd.
• Westbound on Galena Blvd. past Elmwood Terrace, Symphony of Orchard Valley, and Bickford of Aurora
• Northbound on Orchard Rd. to Indian Trail
• Eastbound on Indian Trail to Mercy Lane
• Conclude at AMITA Health Mercy Medical Center ( approx. 10:45 a.m.)