The National Weather Service has issued a Winter Storm Warning for the area, beginning at 1 p.m. today – Monday, January 25 – and ending at noon tomorrow – Tuesday, January 26.
- Moderate to heavy snow is expected to begin this evening
- Accumulations of up to 8 inches.
- Freezing rain may mix in with snow at times
- Wind gusts of up to 35 mph.
- Travel will be extremely hazardous during the late afternoon/evening hours tonight and into the morning.
- Heavy, wet snow can cause damage to power lines and tree branches
The Aurora Snow Team will have continuous operations on all 36 snow routes during the storm, focusing on primary roadways and major thoroughfares. Be patient with the process.
- Limit driving during the snow warning period
- If you must drive, reduce speed and be extra cautious around other drivers
- Stay a minimum of 75 ft. behind snow plows and never attempt to pass them.
- Move your cars from City streets. The Snow Parking Ordinance prohibits parking during or after a snowfall of 2 inches or more. Failure to comply can lead to tickets.
- Do not shovel snow into the street when clearing driveways.
- Do help to keep fire hydrants cleared of snow so they can be accessed quickly in an emergency.
- Do not leave running vehicles unattended, whether locked or unlocked.
Stay connected to any pertinent updates from the City of Aurora:
- Facebook: /CityofAuroraIL
- Instagram: @CityofAuroraIL
- Twitter: @CityofAuroraIL
- Mobile Alerts: Text AURORAIL to 888777
- Email Updates: Text MYAURORA to 22828