In accordance with Phase 4 of the Restore Illinois Reopening Plan, the City of Aurora will reopen parks and some outdoor recreational facilities tomorrow.
As the State enters into Phase 4, public health and safety remain the City’s top priorities. Visitors to the reopened areas should maintain social distance, wear a face covering if adequate social distancing is difficult, and wash their hands thoroughly before and after each visit.
Beginning, Friday, June 26, the following areas will reopen:
• Green spaces at all City parks.
• Playground and youth recreational equipment at the following parks only: Phillips Park, Garfield Park, Solfisburg Park and McCarty Park. Additional play areas at other parks may open later in Phase 4. City staff will regularly disinfect equipment during open hours of operation.
• The dog park at Phillips Park.
• The skate park at Phillips Park.
• The sand volleyball courts at Phillips Park.
• The tennis courts at Phillips Park and Garfield Park.
• The basketball court at Garfield Park.
• The softball/baseball fields at the following parks: one field at Phillips Park, one field at Solfisburg Park and one field at Garfield Park. Field usage is limited this year to maintain adequate gathering sizes at each location.
After careful review of the state’s guidelines for the reopening of zoos and consulting with health officials, Phillips Park Zoo will remain closed to the public until the State enters into Phase 5 of the Restore Illinois Reopening Plan. However, the path around the zoo’s perimeter is still open and some of the animals are visible from the path. Zoo officials will reposition information signage about the animals along the path and the zoo’s parrot cages will be relocated near the Sunken Garden path for easier viewing. Throughout the summer, zoo officials will host ‘keeper chats’ at safe public locations where families can interact with some of the animals and learn more about animal care and wellness.
Both water parks, splash pads and pavilion rentals will not be activated this season.