Applications for position of police officer
The City of Aurora is accepting applications for the position of
To establish a Civil Service eligibility list
Posted: May 2, 2016
Applicants must complete the following before moving forward in the selection process:
- View the PowerPoint using the link below.
Police Recruitment 2016
- Pass the video-based, job simulation multiple-choice exam
Visit: www.nationaltestingnetwork.com to register and select testing location.
- Candidates must be at least 20 years of age and under 35 years of age at the time of written exam but must be at least 21 years of age and under 36 years of age at time of appointment, pursuant to the Illinois Municipal Code as amended (65 ILCS 5/10-1-1 et seq.).
- Must be an U.S. citizen at the time of appointment.
- Possession of a valid Class “D” Illinois driver’s license or a valid out-of-state driver’s license of similar classification.
- The applicant must have achieved a high school diploma with a grade point average of 2.5 out of 4.0 (or an equivalent on a scale with a maximum grade point average other than 4.0), or a G.E.D. with a minimum composite score of no less than 2480 points, or at least sixteen (16) hours of college credit with a grade point average of 2.5 out of 4.0 (or an equivalent on a scale with a maximum grade point average other than 4.0) regardless of high school grade point average or G.E.D. composite score.
- Must be able to meet vision standard at time of appointment. Must be correctable to 20/20 with both eyes open including field of vision/depth perception/color vision within normal ranges.
- Excellent moral character and personal integrity.
- A subsequent polygraph and psychological examination will be required, in addition to a thorough *background investigation, drug screen and pre-employment physical.
- Valid Police Officer Physical Ability Test certification at the time of application.
Beginning Salary:$23.13/hour, after 6 months $30.83/hour, after 1 year $36.75/hour, plus a full benefit package
May 2 - June 15, 2016 by 12 a.m. CST - Testing period closes at midnight CST. Those who meet the minimum cutoff score on the video-based, job simulation exam will be notified to fill out an application and request preference points during the specified time frame.
June 20 – July 15, 2016 by 5 p.m. CST - Complete the application, Request for Preference Points Form and return all required documentation (**see below).
Human Resources must receive your documentation by July 15, 2016, 5 p.m. CST
City of Aurora, Human Resources Department,
Attention: Police Testing,
44 E. Downer Pl.
Aurora, IL 60507.
Fees and Application:
There is a non-refundable base fee of $49 for testing and an additional cost for each department where you indicate you want to apply. Payments are made electronically using a credit card. If you are interested in testing for this opportunity but, are unable to pay the fee, please complete the hardship waiver form and return it with the required documentation, as soon as possible.
Starting Monday, June 20th, applications will be accepted from applicants who met the video-based job simulation exam cutoff score. The applications must be returned by Friday, July 15th, by 5:00 p.m. CST. You may also apply in person during the application period. You must produce your own copies of your documentation, no copies will be made for you.
*The police officer background investigation process can take up to six weeks.
**You must provide a copy of your birth certificate, a copy of your high school diploma/G.E.D. along with proof of your G.P.A./G.E.D. composite score or official college transcript showing completed course hours and G.P.A., a copy of your valid driver's license and a copy of your valid Police Officer Physical Ability Test certification.
City of Aurora
Human Resources Department
44 East Downer Place
Aurora, IL 60507
Equal Opportunity Employer
Office hours are Mon.-Fri. 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
If you have additional questions regarding the Police application and testing process, please do not hesitate to contact any of the following people:
Office of Professional Standards / Training Division Lieutenant
Training Division Sergeant
Backgrounds & Recruiting Officer
Civil Service Commission