Official website for the City of Aurora, Illinois. Mayor Robert J. O'Connor

Historic District Email Updates

Sign up now and have email notices about Aurora’s Historic Districts delivered to you.

John Edward Minott

Minott established his architectural firm in Aurora in 1872, and was the architect of the Hobbs building, 2 N. River Street, and the Aurora Fire Station, 51 N. Broadway. Other buildings designed by Minott include the German M.E. Church, 523-525 E. Downer Place, the Quereau residence at 419 S. Fourth Street, the Judson residence at 460 W. Galena, and the Rice residence at 461 W. Downer Place. The 1886 Aurora Sun stated “The residence of F. B. Rice on the corner of Downer Place and View Streets now approaching completion, presents a handsome appearance and is much admired by all who pass. It is something of the Queen Anne style, every side, corner window and door different. The northeast corner is a beautifully proportional octagon; also the library window is placed in one of smaller size facing the north. On the east side the house is a fine oriole window; the first story is brick, the second story of fancy shingling, topped off by a roof of tin. The only building so combined in the city. Twelve rooms each above and below. The building supplied with hot and cold running water and gas. Mr. Rice expects to occupy a part of the house by Christmas. The building represents $6,000, and Mr. Minott is the happy architect.” Outside Aurora, Minott designed the Masonic Temple in Plainfield at W. Lockport Road and Des Plaines Street. It also features Minott’s signature onion dome.