Official website for the City of Aurora, Illinois. Mayor Robert J. O'Connor


In the City of Aurora, a business license is not required to operate a business. However, there are certain types of businesses that do require a license or have specific health, zoning, and/or state requirements.

Businesses That Require A License

Businesses that require a license from the City of Aurora include: Taxicabs, Second Hand Stores, Pawn Dealer Shops, Amusement Devices (Distributor, Pool Halls, Casino Games, Arcade, Individual), Cigarettes and Other Tobacco Products, Adult Uses, Automatic Music (Juke Box), Closing or Going out of Business Sales, Liquor Establishments, Spray Paint Dealers and Junk/Scavengers.

Other Requirements

Some businesses may have specific health, state or zoning requirements or require a license from another licensing body. If your business involves Food Service, Sale, and Distribution, including Ice Cream Vending, you should contact your county’s health department Kane County-Aurora Only, (630) 897-1124; Kane County-Outside Aurora (630) 208-3801; Kendall County (630) 553-9100; DuPage County (630) 682-7400; and Will County (815) 727-8480.

Home-Based Day Care

Home-based Day Care Businesses must be licensed through the State of Illinois. The process begins with contacting the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services at (630) 801-3400.

Retail Sales

Businesses that involve Retail Sales, including Hotels or Motels, Sole Proprietorships, Partnerships, Corporations, etc., are required to register with the Illinois Department of Revenue (wholesalers and service businesses, i.e. doctors, dentists are excluded). You may reach them toll free at (800) 732-8866 or locally at (630) 293-8300. Locally, they have an office at 245 W. Roosevelt Road in West Chicago, which is open Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.


All peddlers must be registered with the City of Aurora.

To register to peddle non-food and/or non-drink items, contact the City Clerk’s Office at (630) 256-3070.

To register to peddle any food and/or drink items, contact the Finance Department at (630) 256-3560.

To conduct a “tag day” event (a fundraising event sponsored by a not-for-profit organization), contact the Aldermen’s Office at (630) 256-3020.

For additional information and requirements of the City’s Peddler Ordinance, please see Chapter 32 of the City’s Code of Ordinances entitled, Peddlers, Canvassers, and Solicitors.

For more information, please contact the City of Aurora’s Revenue and Collections Division.