Garbage and Trash
The City of Aurora’s updated trash and recycling program offers 5 different collection options through its waste hauler Republic Services. The new program is designed to give residents the flexibility to select the type of service that best meets their household’s needs and budget, while at the same time reducing worker injuries and encouraging recycling.
3 TRASH CART CHOICES
Under the new program, Republic Services provides residents separate trash and recycling carts–both with lids to help keep the community cleaner. All trash carts have wheels and come in three convenient, affordable sizes. Additional cans or bags may be placed at the curb with a sticker for collection.
- Republic Services bills residents quarterly.
- Carts remain the property of Republic Services.
2 RECYCLING CART CHOICES
35 Gallon or 65 Gallon: Residents continue to enjoy unlimited recycling. Each household receives a 35 or 65 gallon cart that has wheels and a lid. Additional recyclables may be placed by the curb in containers that do not exceed 25 gallons of capacity (recycling does not require a sticker).
This option allows eligible seniors (65 and older) to use special 14 gallon orange bags for trash. Bags cost $1.45 per bag and may be purchased in rolls of 20 at designated retail locations. See www.aurora-il.org for a list of locations. When signing up for this program, seniors also receive their choice of a 35 gallon or a 65 gallon recycling cart with weekly service. For a downloadable list of orange bag retailers, click here.
The limited, low-volume option provides trash collection twice per month in a specially marked 35 gallon cart. Trash service occurs on the first and third full weeks of each month. Recycling occurs weekly using a 35 gallon cart. The cost for this service is $9.02 per month. For a downloadable, printable calendar of Low Volume collection dates, click here.
Trash, recycling, yard waste and large items are collected on the same day with a separate driver and vehicle for each type of service.
The following holidays are observed by Republic Services: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. When one of these holidays falls on or before your collection day collections are delayed one day that week.
- Items must be at the curb by 6:00 a.m. on the scheduled collection day, but no earlier than 7:00 p.m. the day before collection.
- Empty trash carts, recycle carts and other containers must be removed from the curb by midnight on the day of collection.
- Place carts at curb or a maximum of 3 feet from road with front of the carts facing the street. Carts should be placed 3 feet apart from any other object.
- Excess trash outside of your cart must be placed in a trash container or bag with each extra unit not exceeding 33 gallons in capacity and not exceeding 50 pounds. Each additional can or bag requires a sticker.
- Stickers can be purchased at most grocery and hardware stores or at City Hall, 44 E. Downer Pl., and the Customer Service Center, 3770 McCoy Dr., for a cost of $2.75 each. Stickers are used for yard waste, bags, cans, large items and appliances that are in addition to your cart.
- Content of trash cart or additional cans may not be overfilled. Lids must be fully closed.
Materials that do not fit in a cart or container, such as small amounts of construction debris and rolls of carpeting, must be securely tied in bundles not exceeding 2 feet in diameter, 4 feet in length, and 50 pounds in weight. A sticker must be affixed to each bundle. Single items such as chairs, tables, mattresses, etc. must have one sticker affixed to each item. Call Republic Services with any questions. For a downloadable list of sticker retailers, click here.
The collection of appliances such as refrigerators, stoves, water heaters, etc. must be scheduled in advance by calling Republic Services at 630-892-9294. Appliances must have one sticker affixed.
SPECIAL PICK UP AND TEMPORARY CONTAINERS
For those times when residents have a large amount of refuse or yard waste that may be too time consuming to use 33 gallon bags or containers, Republic Services offers temporary containers or a special pickup. Arrangements must be made at least 24 hours in advance by calling Republic Services at 630-892-9294.
Effective January 1, 2012, electronic waste is banned from Illinois landfills. The City of Aurora offers collection events at the City’s Customer Service Center, 3770 McCoy Drive, and Central Garage facility, 720 N. Broadway Ave. For more information on electronics recycling, call the Customer Service Center number at 630-256-4636 or visit www.aurora-il.org.
HOUSEHOLD HAZARDOUS WASTE
Hazardous materials (e.g. oil-based paint, fertilizers, pesticides, cleaning solvents, flammable materials, motor oil and other automotive fluids) cannot be set out for curbside collection. For information regarding safe disposal at a regional Household Hazardous Waste drop-off center please visit www.aurora-il.org.